It’s amazing how your outdoor space can be brought to life with the simple addition of flagstone. Flagstone is an incredibly versatile material and can meet a variety of landscaping needs. Whether you have a few leftover pieces to use, or a whole bulk of slabs, you can add flagstone to create a truly unique back yard.
There are a number of simple, inventive flagstone landscaping ideas and rustic flagstone patio ideas available for every style and budget. We’ll take a look at a few below to help get your imagination started.
Flagstone Landscaping Ideas: Patios and Paths
Perhaps one of the simplest and most effective ways to use flagstone is to create an outdoor patio or path area.
You may want to try some of these ideas to make your pathways and patios stand out:
- Place large flagstones together to create a paved area over grass, leaving plenty of space in between. When the grass grows it will rise up in between the slabs. This creates a unique rustic look and contrast between the colours of your grass and the colour of your flagstone. For other rustic flagstone patio ideas, consider using different sizes and shapes of stones and adding in more natural plants and wooden patio furniture.
- If you’d prefer a more polished look, use square and straight cut pieces for a clean and elegant finish.
- Play around with different colours. Use different shades to create different effects. Think about contrasting your patio area to the other colours throughout your yard or home, or match everything to create a certain mood and ambience.
- A simple flagstone path can be created by laying down sand or concrete, adding your flagstones in a creative pattern, then simply filling in the spaces in between with gravel. The gravel can be light or dark to enhance the look.
- Use flagstone to build a raised patio area. Elevate yourself from the rest of your landscape and make your patio a focal point with various colours and patterns.
- Extend your concrete patio area by adding in some flagstone. This will create a diverse and unique looking space for barbecuing, lounging or whatever use you can dream up.
- A flagstone stepping stone path can join other aspects of your yard such as flowerbeds or gardens and create fun pathways through your space.
Additional Flagstone Landscape Ideas
Remember that larger flagstone pieces can add different design elements and incorporate different tones into your landscape, while smaller pieces can add subtle hints and pops of colour here and there.
Here are some additional ideas you may want to consider for using flagstone:
- If your garden is on a slope, think about creating distinct levels with a flagstone retaining wall.
- Use flagstone to house a rockery and small plants.
- Build flagstone steps and create structure and creative designs leading into your home or other areas of your landscape.
- Create a natural looking hearth with flagstone. Choose your preferred design and colour to build a dynamic fire pit that act as the centrepiece for your outdoor lounge or dining areas.
- Smaller flagstone pieces can be used for placemats and coasters if you have an outdoor dining area. Shattered pieces can be formed into a mosaic-type design and used in creative ways including tables, planter pots, and wall décor.
Check out our gallery for more inspiring ideas.
Whatever your design preference, consider some of these flagstone landscaping ideas to add some flair to your next outdoor project. For questions or more ideas, contact Grand River Natural Stone for all of your landscaping needs.