Choosing a landscaper for your next garden project–big or small–need not be a daunting task, but it is important and takes some planning and research. Many a home owner has not thought out his project needs and desires ahead of time and has been left with a result that cost too much or simply looked or performed a lot differently than what was anticipated. So, take your time, and consider these tips on how to choose the best landscaper for your job.
Tip #1: Think about what you are trying to achieve
If you have a goal and budget in mind, it will be easier to select the right landscaping company with the right skills and past project experience. For example, are you trying to improve your home’s curb appeal? Do you want to create a relaxing backyard oasis complete with water features and outdoor kitchen? Is a garden show piece your dream? Define the end result ahead of time as best you can by looking at landscape magazines, websites, TV shows and area homes you admire.
Tip #2: Only consider landscapers with experience and professionalism
Ask the following questions when choosing a landscaper:
- Can the landscaper provide you with references from past customers and with a portfolio of completed jobs? You may even want to drive by some of those homes to see how the work looks.
- Are they accredited by the Better Business Bureau and other online review sites such as Customer Lobby?
- How long has the company been in business?
- Does the staff hold professional credentials and licenses? For instance, if you are aiming for a show quality garden, the company should have a certified horticulturist.
- Is the crew bonded and insured? Minimally, the company should carry general and commercial liability insurance, workman’s compensation and a contractor’s license.
- Is the company headquarters neat and well kept? Does equipment look well maintained? Take a drive by, and check it all out.
Tip #3: Get a written estimate of costs and a detailed list of materials and project layout
Don’t neglect this step in choosing a landscaper. A quote in writing will tell you if the contractor has truly listened to your ideas and to your budget.
Grand River Natural Stone Ltd. has the hands-on knowledge, experience, and referral network to help take your project from concept to completion. It will be done on-time and on-budget with the best of materials and the utmost care taken with your ideas and taste in mind. Our family-owned and operated business has 4 locations in Southwestern Ontario to serve you.
Call for a quote today at 866-261-5548.